Thursday, May 27, 2010

Days 8 and 9 - May 24th and 25th

I woke up this morning relieved that coach cancelled practice because we got back so late the day before. I also think it had something to do with the club having its 100 year anniversary and the countries 200 years anniversary the next day. The only thing we had on our plate was to show up at the club at 9 for the opening of the club museum that they've been working on for while. I spent most of the day watching movies and reading a book. Fabri called me at about 5 and wanted to go shoot but wanted somebody to shoot with and he knew I wouldn't say no. We went up there at about 6 and shot for about 45 an hour. We couldn't do a lot of drills with movement because the floor was so dirty from them installing an air conditioner. I guess it gets really hot in this town in the summer and that’s during the middle of the season. Fabri was telling me that it gets so hot and humid that they sometimes have to have the games in the morning when it's cooler because the floor is so slippery. After shooting I went back to the hotel to get washed up and ready for the celebration. I didn't think we were going to be there long so I didn't eat before. When we got there the first thing I saw was this huge projector on the wall that had a countdown with 3 hours left on it. It was like new years. With a half an hour there had to be close to 4 thousand people in this old gym. There were speeches giving and a band to play music. I realized I was going to be here for while so fabri and I went to the hotel to eat around 10:30. We came back at an hour later in time for the countdown. These people were going crazy waving flags, sports jerseys, jumping up and down, and standing on their chairs 20 minutes before the midnight and who knows how long after. It was cool seeing a town so supportive and proud of their club. They also had a big fireworks show. The next morning came quickly. I got some breakfast at the hotel and rested until lunch. I’m glad a have fabri because he found out and told me that I’d have to eat at the other place the team eats at because the hotel restaurant is closed today. I walked over to his house and we went and ate. It took a while to get the food but it was. I had spaghetti with pesto sauce and piece of grilled chicken on top. After lunch I went back to the hotel to rest before practice. Practice was good but I felt like I was running through water. My legs didn't wake up till the end of the practice. The last game I played well and hit the game winner. After practice fabri and I asked coach if he could drive us to one of the only restaurants open being it was a holiday and he did. Fabri ordered empanadas (which are a traditional Argentinean dish) that were filled with ground beef and spices and I think a raisin or 2 to as some sweetness. They were really good. As we were waiting for our food the owner came out and starting talking with us. You could tell he loved what he did by the way he talked about food. He told us on Saturdays they have this "buffet" where they serve fiambres. It wasn't explained really well to me but it sounds like there will be a variety of meats (salamis, hams, beefs, chicken, sausages, etc) as well as cheeses. They told us that if we wanted to come that we needed to let them know because it was usually packed and they would need to save a table for us. I said yes before fabri could say anything. Anybody that knows me knows that I love food. Ha-ha. The owners so were nice, they even gave us a ride home. That is one thing I love about the Latin American culture. They are so giving. So off to the hotel I went to turn in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment