Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 3 May 19th

Woke up at 10am this morning. I couldn't fall asleep and ended up knocking out at 2:30 am which I’m glad weights and shoot around were optional. I went to eat breakfast (the same thing as yesterday) came back to the room and decided to go get a couple of shots up. I got dressed and went to the club were fabri was lifting some weights. He said if I wait a couple minutes for him that he would shoot with me. I was waiting in the weight room with him doing some abs and lower back stuff on a mat. After about 10 minutes fabri took off to his house to meet the guy who was hooking up the internet. He said he'd be back and then we’d shoot. I finished my workout and decided to go shoot because I didn't want to be there all day. I got 20 minutes into my shooting drills and he walks in the gym mad cause they guy didn't show up. He said it was typical here in Argentina and I told him that's the way it was in Mexico as well. It’s funny because they don't even call. They’ll show up later ready to do whatever their supposed to do like they never missed the first appt. So we shot together of another 30 minutes and I headed back to the hotel to get cleaned up and eat lunch. Walking to and from practice is nice. It only takes me about 10 minutes but it a nice warm up and I get to see a bit of the city. A couple things I’ve noticed are that there are probably as many little motorcycles and bicycles as cars on the street. I haven't seen a car bigger than a ford ranger here that wasn't strictly meant for hauling materials. I’m not sure if the need isn't there or gas is that expensive. I saw a gas station and after doing the math I think it's about $4 a gallon. Also instead of speed bumps there are speed dips. If you didn't see them coming or know where they were you could really mess up your front end. There are lots of stray dogs that steer clear of you. Not sure why cause I haven't seen anybody beating or mistreating them. And the sidewalks seem to be the property owner’s option to have one or not. On the corners it's usually grassy. I’m not sure this is typical of all Argentina. When I got back I got a chance to see the family on Skype. My daughter Lainey asked if I could just come home for a minute to play with her outside and then I could go back to work. I love her so much! I tried to explain that I couldn't but by the time I was done explaining she was on to something else. I then lunch with consisted of a chicken breast, plain white rice with parmesan cheese, and a salad that consisted of cut up tomatoes, lettuce, and what tasted like vinegar and lemon juice. The chicken was a little dry which wouldn't have been as bad if they brought what I ordered which was the same thing with a creamy mushroom sauce on top. That’s ok. I didn't do anything about it because they bring me my food from across the street and I was being lazy. After lunch I head back to my room to and try to get on the internet which isn't working and I’m not sure why. They are doing construction somewhere in the building but because everything is tile it always sounds next door. I eventually went down to the lobby and the guy at the desk reset it for me. The rest of the time before practice I relaxed and started to watch the movie "legion". The internet is slow so I let it download while I was at practice. Practice was good. We did the usually stretch, warm up, and shooting and then we went over the systems half court and full court. I got a little winded after the second but a good winded. My team won all our games except one. After practice I talked to the coach for a second and asked him there was anything he wanted me to change. He told me to shoot more and that he trusted my decision making skills. So that was good. After practice I found out one of the guys that's been practicing with us is leaving tomorrow to play with the national team in some tournament in San Antonio. He wanted to eat at an Argentina parrilla or a BBQ and invited me to go with him and a couple guys from the team. It was really good. It was kind of an all you can eat place. They just kept bringing out mini BBQ's with different cuts of meat on it. The first that came out shocked me a little. It had tripe (intestine), kidney, some sausage as well as a blood sausage. I ate a little of everything and it was all surprisingly good. I’m not sure I would eat much more kidney but the rest was ok. the next to come out was I think brisket but it tasted like they boiled it first and threw it on the BBQ so the outside could get crispy. When they asked for another cut they said they were out of everything else so we kept eating the brisket till everyone was sick. For the sides they brought 2 dishes that I’ve never seen before. One was French fries that after they were done were thrown in a pan and eggs were cooked with it. Odd but good. The other was grated carrots with scrambled eggs lumped in the middle. I don't know what it is with eggs but I’m sure I ate enough protein for the week. As we were leaving my teammates pointed this huge concrete fenced compound that was the house of the richest guys in the area. They said he was the owner of the biggest insurance company in Argentina. That was the other company that I could remember in my first blog. Know I’m back at my hotel winding down watching the Lakers beat up on the suns. Got to rest up because tomorrow is a double practice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment